Thursday, July 24, 2014

Infertility, a common thread

This experience of infertility is a scary, emotional roller coaster. It can seem like you and you husband are the only ones in the world dealing with the peaks of hope and valleys of sadness. Going in a baby store, seeing a pregnant mommy waddle by, or hearing of a friend's joyful news is enough to send the strongest woman into tears. What we forget is that those ladies have a story as well, and it may not be so different from our own. One of the blogs I frequent for encouragement during this journey is The Stirrup Queens. As I was browsing I came across an old conversation about this very issue. Those of us dealing with infertility need a way to letting others in our situation know. So this is what they came up with (direct quote from The Stirrup Queens).

Pomegranates, a longstanding symbol of fertility, serve as a strong analogy to those suffering through infertility. Though each pomegranate skin is unique in colour and texture, the seeds inside are remarkably similar from fruit to fruit. Though our diagnosis is unique—endometriosis, low sperm count, luteal phase defect, or causes unknown—the emotions, those seeds on the inside, are the same from person to person. Infertility creates frustration, anger, depression, guilt, and loneliness. Compounding these emotions is the shame that drives people suffering from infertility to retreat into silence.
In addition, the seeds represent the multitude of ways one can build their family: natural conception, treatments, adoption, third-party reproduction, or even choosing to live child-free.
The pomegranate thread holds a two-fold purpose: to identify and create community between those experiencing infertility as well as create a starting point for a conversation. Women pregnant through A.R.T., families created through adoption, or couples trying to conceive during infertility can wear the thread, identifying themselves to others in this silent community. At the same time, the string serves as a gateway to conversations about infertility when people inquire about its purpose. These conversations are imperative if we are ever to remove the social stigma attached to infertility.Tie on the thread because you’re not alone. Wear to make aware.

Join us in starting this conversation about infertility by purchasing this pomegranate-coloured thread (#814 by DMC) at any craft, knitting, or variety store such as Walmart or Target. Tie it on your right wrist. Notice it on others.


So I just went by Wal-Mart this morning and bought my #814 floss! I want to not only encourage people in my shoes on my blog, but with my actions! I am still in the limbo of my two-week-wait so I won't know for a while yet if I am pregnant or not, but I plan to make my bracelet this afternoon and wear it proudly. One day I hope to waddle around with a big-ole belly and my bracelet on my wrist. Not a painful reminder to an infertile family, but instead a symbol of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment